What is Pidgin Signed English? (Contact Signing)
___ I am able to recognize and
sign the practice sentences and story for this lesson
___ I have taken the
Vocabulary Practice Quiz
___ I have taken the general
practice quiz for this lesson. See:
Practice sheet 19.A
01. YOU AFRAID WHAT? (What scares you?)
02. YOU THINK SCHOOL BORING? (Do you think school is boring?)
03. YOU THINK FIREMEN BRAVE? (Do you think firemen are brave?)
04. YOU LIKE CHAT PHONE? (Do you like to chat on the phone?)
05. EMBARRASS EASY YOU? (Do you embarrass easily?)
Practice sheet 19.B
06. YOU ENJOY what-DO? (What do you enjoy doing?)
YOU THINK MOST DOG FRIENDLY, MEAN, WHICH? (Do you think most dogs are friendly or are they mean?)
08. YOU FEEL FRUSTRATED WHEN? (When do you feel frustrated?)
09. YOU FEEL HAPPY, WHEN? (When do you feel happy?)
10. RECENT YOU INSULT ANY-ONE? (Have you recently insulted anyone?)
Practice sheet 19.C
11. YOU SOMETIMES FEEL LONELY YOU? (Do you sometimes feel lonely?)
12. YOU MAD, what-FOR? (Why are you mad?)
13. YOUR BOYFRIEND [or girlfriend] HE/SHE JEALOUS EASY? (Is your boyfriend
[or girlfriend] the jealous type?)
14. BEFORE-[prior-to] TEST YOU FEEL NERVOUS YOU? (Do you get nervous before a test?)
15. YOU PROUD ABOUT WHAT?
(What do you take pride in?)
Practice sheet 19.D
16. YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SILLY? (Do you think the teacher is silly?)
17. YOU THINK CAT STUCK-UP? (Do you think cats are stuck up?)
18. SURPRISE TEST, YOU LIKE? (Do you like surprise tests?)
19. SUPPOSE WALK 4-HOUR, FUTURE-[will] TIRED YOU? (Suppose you walk for four hours, would you be tired?)
20. BOOK YOU THINK INTERESTING, what-NAME? (What is the name of a book that you think is interesting.)
review for this lesson:
4-HOUR | ABOUT | AFRAID | ANY-ONE | BEFORE-[prior-to] | BOOK |
BORING | BOYFRIEND | BRAVE | CAT | CHAT | DOG | DO-what | EASY |
EMBARRASS | ENJOY | FEEL | FIREMEN | FRIENDLY | FRUSTRATED |
FUTURE-[will] | GIRLFRIEND | HAPPY | HE/SHE/INDEX-[that-person] |
INSULT | INTERESTING | JEALOUS | LIKE | LONELY | MAD |
MEAN-[opposite-of-nice] | MOST | NERVOUS | PHONE | PROUD | RECENT |
SCHOOL | SILLY | SOMETIMES | STUCK-UP | SUPPOSE | SURPRISE | TEACHER
| TEST | TEXT | THINK | TIRED | WALK | WHAT | what-FOR | what-NAME | WHEN |
My girlfriend passed her firefighter's exam. She is brave --
not afraid of anything. I think her work is interesting but it makes
me nervous. I am happy regarding her and proud of her. Sometimes she
is silly. She is not stuck up nor mean. She is friendly and
nice. Yesterday she helped a cat. She works a lot of hours and is
tired most of the time. Recently she felt insulted,
frustrated, and embarrassed. She was mad because I get jealous
easily. I often feel lonely and enjoy calling her to chat.
If I get bored I text her. Tomorrow I'm going to surprise her by
walking her dog before I go to school.
01. MY GIRLFRIEND
PASS HER FIREMAN TEST.
02. SHE BRAVE, NOT AFRAID ANYTHING.
03. I THINK HER WORK INTERESTING BUT I NERVOUS.
04. I HAPPY PROUD HER.
05. SOMETIMES SHE SILLY.
06. SHE NOT STUCK-UP, NOT MEAN-[harsh].
07. SHE FRIENDLY NICE.
08. YESTERDAY SHE HELP CAT.
09. SHE WORK MANY HOURS. MOST TIME SHE TIRED.
10. RECENT SHE FEEL INSULT FRUSTRATED EMBARRASS.
11. SHE MAD, WHAT-FOR?-[rhetorical], I JEALOUS EASY.
12. I OFTEN LONELY, ENJOY PHONE CHAT HER.
13. IF I BORED I TEXT HER.
14. TOMORROW I SURPRISE HER. DO-what-[rhetorical]?
15. BEFORE SCHOOL, I WALK HER DOG.
MY GIRLFRIEND PASS
HER FIREMAN TEST. SHE BRAVE, NOT AFRAID ANYTHING. I THINK HER WORK
INTERESTING BUT I NERVOUS. I HAPPY PROUD SHE/HER. SOMETIMES SHE
SILLY. SHE NOT STUCK-UP, NOT MEAN-[harsh]. SHE FRIENDLY NICE.
YESTERDAY SHE HELP CAT. SHE WORK MANY HOURS. MOST TIME SHE TIRED.
RECENT SHE FEEL INSULT FRUSTRATED EMBARRASS. SHE MAD,
WHAT-FOR?-[rhetorical], I JEALOUS EASY. I OFTEN LONELY, ENJOY
phone-CALL CHAT SHE/HER. IF I BORED I TEXT HER. TOMORROW I SURPRISE
HER. DO-what-[rhetorical]? BEFORE SCHOOL, I WALK HER DOG.
Note: Suppose your partner asks you, "YOU MAD, FOR-FOR?" and you are not mad
-- I recommend that you respond, "NOT MAD ME (while shaking the head negatively). Or suppose you don't have a boyfriend, (or girlfriend
or partner) and your signing partner asks you if your boyfriend (or girlfriend) gets jealous easy. You might reply, "(not)-HAVE BOY-FRIEND."
Note: WAKE-up and SURPRISE are related signs but differ in the
intensity and facial expression.
PEOPLE DEAF CITY-(community) PROUD THEMSELVES DEAF-("cheek puffed
out")? (Are members of the Deaf Community proud to be Deaf?)
While it may seem strange (to “Hearing people,”) culturally Deaf People are
proud of our culture and our community.
The more “Deaf” you are in the Deaf
community, the higher your status (on that particular social indicator).
Occasionally you might see the sign “DEAF” done with a larger movement and the
cheek puffed out. This is the equivalent of saying “true blue Deaf” or "Deaf
through and through," (or being “very” Deaf both culturally and physically).
For a practice quiz,
Lesson 19 Practice Quiz
Check with your instructor or your syllabus regarding any graded
quizzes for this lesson.