ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
Lessons: |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30| More...
ASL: Lesson 19:
___ Discussion topic: What is Pidgin Signed English? (Contact Signing)
___ I am able to recognize and sign the practice sentences and story for this lesson
___ I have taken the Lesson 19 Vocabulary Practice Quiz
___ I have taken the general practice quiz for this lesson. See: PRACTICE QUIZZES
REVIEW Vocab: CAN-(able/possible), PEOPLE
Practice sheet 19.A
01. YOU AFRAID WHAT? (What scares you?)
02. YOU THINK SCHOOL BORING? (Do you think school is boring?)
03. YOU THINK FIREFIGHTER BRAVE? (Do you think firefighters are brave?)
04. YOU LIKE CHAT PHONE? (Do you like to chat on the phone?)
05. EMBARRASS EASY YOU? (Do you embarrass easily?)
Practice sheet 19.B
06. YOU ENJOY what-DO? (What do you enjoy doing?)
07. YOU THINK MOST DOG FRIENDLY, MEAN, WHICH? (Do you think most dogs are friendly or are they mean?)
08. YOU FEEL FRUSTRATED WHEN? (When do you feel frustrated?)
09. YOU FEEL HAPPY, WHEN? (When do you feel happy?)
10. RECENT YOU INSULT ANY-ONE? (Have you recently insulted anyone?)
Practice sheet 19.C
11. YOU SOMETIMES FEEL LONELY YOU? (Do you sometimes feel lonely?)
12. YOU MAD, what-FOR? (Why are you mad?)
13. YOUR BOYFRIEND [or girlfriend] HE/SHE JEALOUS EASY? (Is your boyfriend [or girlfriend] the jealous type?)
14. BEFORE-[prior-to] TEST YOU FEEL NERVOUS YOU? (Do you get nervous before a test?)
15. YOU PROUD ABOUT WHAT? (What do you take pride in?)
Practice sheet 19.D
16. YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SILLY? (Do you think the teacher is silly?)
17. YOU THINK CAT STUCK-UP? (Do you think cats are stuck up?)
18. SURPRISE TEST, YOU LIKE? (Do you like surprise tests?)
19. SUPPOSE WALK 4-HOUR, FUTURE-[will] TIRED YOU? (Suppose you walk for four hours, would you be tired?)
20. BOOK YOU THINK INTERESTING, what-NAME? (What is the name of a book that you think is interesting.)
Cumulative vocabulary review for this lesson:
4-HOUR | ABOUT | AFRAID | ANY-ONE | BEFORE-[prior-to]| BOOK | BORING | BOYFRIEND | BRAVE | CAT | CHAT | DOG | DO-what | EASY | EMBARRASS | ENJOY | FEEL | FIREMAN | FRIENDLY | FRUSTRATED | FUTURE-[will] | GIRLFRIEND | HAPPY | HE/SHE/INDEX-[that-person] | INSULT | INTERESTING | JEALOUS | LIKE | LONELY | MAD | MEAN-[opposite-of-nice] | MOST | NERVOUS | PHONE | PROUD | RECENT | SCHOOL | SILLY | SOMETIMES | STUCK-UP | SUPPOSE | SURPRISE | TEACHER | TEST | TEXT | THINK | TIRED | WALK | WHAT | what-FOR | what-NAME | WHEN | WHICH |
My girlfriend passed her firefighter's exam. She is brave -- not afraid of anything. I think her work is interesting but it makes me nervous. I am happy regarding her and proud of her. Sometimes she is silly. She is not stuck up nor mean. She is friendly and nice. Yesterday she helped a cat. She works a lot of hours and is tired most of the time. Recently she felt insulted, frustrated, and embarrassed. She was mad because I get jealous easily. I often feel lonely and enjoy calling her to chat. If I get bored I text her. Tomorrow I'm going to surprise her by walking her dog before I go to school.
01. MY GIRLFRIEND PASS HER FIREFIGHTER TEST.
02. SHE BRAVE, NOT AFRAID ANYTHING.
03. I THINK HER WORK INTERESTING BUT I NERVOUS.
04. I HAPPY PROUD HER.
05. SOMETIMES SHE SILLY.
06. SHE NOT STUCK-UP, NOT MEAN-[harsh].
07. SHE FRIENDLY NICE.
08. YESTERDAY SHE HELP CAT.
09. SHE WORK MANY HOURS. MOST TIME SHE TIRED.
10. RECENT SHE FEEL INSULT FRUSTRATED EMBARRASS.
11. SHE MAD, WHAT-FOR?-[rhetorical], I JEALOUS EASY.
12. I OFTEN LONELY, ENJOY PHONE CHAT HER.
13. IF I BORED I TEXT HER.
14. TOMORROW I SURPRISE HER. DO-what-[rhetorical]?
15. BEFORE SCHOOL, I WALK HER DOG.
MY GIRLFRIEND PASS HER FIREFIGHTER TEST. SHE BRAVE, NOT AFRAID ANYTHING. I THINK HER WORK INTERESTING BUT I NERVOUS. I HAPPY PROUD SHE/HER. SOMETIMES SHE SILLY. SHE NOT STUCK-UP, NOT MEAN-[harsh]. SHE FRIENDLY NICE. YESTERDAY SHE HELP CAT. SHE WORK MANY HOURS. MOST TIME SHE TIRED. RECENT SHE FEEL INSULT FRUSTRATED EMBARRASS. SHE MAD, WHAT-FOR?-[rhetorical], I JEALOUS EASY. I OFTEN LONELY, ENJOY phone-CALL CHAT SHE/HER. IF I BORED I TEXT HER. TOMORROW I SURPRISE HER. DO-what-[rhetorical]? BEFORE SCHOOL, I WALK HER DOG.
Note: Suppose your partner asks you, "YOU MAD, FOR-FOR?" and you are not mad -- I recommend that you respond, "NOT MAD ME (while shaking the head negatively). Or suppose you don't have a boyfriend, (or girlfriend or partner) and your signing partner asks you if your boyfriend (or girlfriend) gets jealous easy. You might reply, "(not)-HAVE BOY-FRIEND."
Note: WAKE-up and SURPRISE are related signs but differ in the intensity and facial expression.
PEOPLE DEAF CITY-(community) PROUD THEMSELVES DEAF-("cheek puffed out")? (Are members of the Deaf Community proud to be Deaf?)
While it may seem strange (to "Hearing people,") culturally Deaf People are proud of our culture and our community. The more "Deaf" you are in the Deaf community, the higher your status (on that particular social indicator). Occasionally you might see the sign "DEAF" done with a larger movement and the cheek puffed out. This is the equivalent of saying "true blue Deaf" or "Deaf through and through," (or being "very" Deaf both culturally and physically).
Cultural note: While the term firefighter is used in this lesson it is also still somewhat common in the Deaf community to see the label "FIREMAN" used for the sign for "firefighter." This is a language contact issue not a gender issue in ASL. The sign for FIREFIGHTER in ASL is gender free and has never used the sign MAN nor the sign WOMAN as part of the sign (when done accurately) regardless of the English label for the sign.
For a practice quiz, visit: Lesson 19 Practice Quiz
Check with your instructor or your syllabus regarding any graded quizzes for this lesson.
|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30| ◄ ►
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy: DONATE (Thanks!)
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars