ASL: Lesson 21:
___ Classifier: V (CL:V)
___ Role Taking
___ How to establish gender in ASL
___ Review "WHAT-KIND"
___ I have taken the Lesson 21 Vocabulary Practice Quiz
___ I have taken the general practice quiz for this lesson.
See: PRACTICE QUIZZES
CONTROL-MANAGE-[administration, reign, rule-over] > MANAGER / ADMINISTRATOR
DANCE > DANCER
FISH | FISHING
FIRE-[terminate_vs_flame] vs FIREMAN
FLY > PILOT
HAIR-CUT > BARBER
LAW / legal, [Principle, Rule] > LAWYER
MAIL-[a piece of mail or a letter] vs SEND
PAINT > PAINTER
PASTOR / PRIEST
PREACH > MISSIONARY
SEND-[version 1, version 2]
WRENCH > MECHANIC and/or PLUMBER
Practice sheet 21.A
01. BUS, YOU RIDE-IN SCHOOL, YOU? (Do you ride the bus to school?)
02. YOU GO DENTIST HOW-OFTEN? (How often do you go to the dentist?)
03. JOB YOU APPLY BEFORE, HOW-MANY? (How many jobs have you applied for previously?)
04. YOU HAIRCUT, HOW OFTEN? (How often do you get your haircut?)
05. OLD BOY-FRIEND, [or girlfriend], PICTURE YOU KEEP? (Do you keep pictures of your old boyfriends? [or girlfriends])
Practice sheet 21.B
06. MOST POST-OFFICE WORKER THIN, WHY? (Why are most postal employees thin?)
07. SOMETHING BROKE, YOU PREFER HIRE MECHANIC, [bodyshift], F-I-X your-SELF, WHICH? (If something is broke, do you prefer to hire a mechanic or do you prefer to fix it yourself?)
08. YOUR HOUSE, WHO MANAGE? (Who runs your house?) (Or apartment or dorm.)
09. YOUR SUPERVISOR, WHO? (Who is your supervisor?)
10. BOSS FIRE WORKER, WHY? (Why do bosses fire employees?)
Practice sheet 21.C
11. PILOT USE S-U-N GLASSES, WHY? (Why do pilots use sunglasses?)
12. YOU ENJOY what-DO? (What do you enjoy doing?)
13. YOU LIKE DANCE? (Do you like to dance?)
14. YOU LIKE FISHING? (Do you like to fish?)
15. YOU WISH your-SELF LAWYER? (Do you wish you were an attorney?)
Practice sheet 21.D
16. YOUR MAJOR-[profession] WHAT? (What is your major in school or your line of work?)
17. YOUR CHURCH SEND MISSIONARY? (Does your church send out missionaries?)
18. YOUR DAD ARMY BEFORE? (Was your dad in the Army?)
19. YOUR HOUSE NEED PAINT? (Does your house need painting?)
20. YOUR RESUME, HOW-MANY PAGE? (How many pages is your resume?)
APPLY | ARMY | BEFORE-past | BOSS | BOY-FRIEND | BROKE | BUS | CHURCH | DAD | DANCE | DENTIST | ENJOY | FIRE | FISHING | F-I-X | GIRL-FRIEND | GLASSES | GO | HAIRCUT | HIRE | HOUSE | HOW | HOW-MANY | JOB | KEEP | LAWYER | LIKE | MAIL | MAJOR-profession | MANAGE | MANY | MECHANIC | MISSIONARY | MOST | NEED | OFTEN | OLD | OR-[bodyshift] | PAGE | PAINT | PICTURE | PILOT | PREFER | RÉSUMÉ | RIDE-IN | SCHOOL | SEND | SOMETHING | S-U-N | SUPERVISOR | THIN | USE | WHAT | what-DO | WHICH | WHO | WHY | WISH | WORKER | YOU | YOUR | your-SELF
Classifier: V (review)
There is a sign known as "Classifier V." This is sometimes written as: "CL:V"
The V handshape can be used to mean: walk-to, jump, fall, fall-down, dance, dive-in, get-up, laid-up/dead-animal, lie-down, anxious, sit in a certain way, stand in a certain way, roll-around, look-at something in a certain way, and many other concepts.
In ASL instead of signing "he said" and then "she said" we can turn our body slightly to the left for the comments of one character and then turn our body slightly to the right for the comments of the other character. We "role play" each character.
Gender is an important aspect of some languages but it isn't very prominent in ASL signs. For example, the concepts "he" and "she" are generally signed by pointing an index finger off to the side. Thus the ASL pronouns "HE" and "SHE" are signed exactly the same. The gender is established prior to the use of the pronoun, but after that the pronoun HE is indistinguishable from the pronoun SHE.
For a practice quiz, visit: Lesson 21 Practice Quiz:
Check with your instructor or your syllabus regarding any graded quizzes for this lesson.