ASL University ►

American Sign Language: "cave"

A student writes:

 Dr. Bill,
I am looking for a sign for the word "cave" as in "Mammoth Cave" or "Carlsbad Caverns." I'm sure there is one. It just seems to be one of those secret handshake things.
Thank you.
- Max

Hi Max,
I tend to just spell "C-A-V-E" but if I'm telling a story of some sort I whip out a couple of "C" handshapes and show (depict) what the cave looks like (long, twisted, narrow, etc.) while using my face to indicate if it is spooky or not.
- Dr. Bill

CAVE (Version 1)

Note: When spelling C-A-V-E the "E" tends to mutate into a two-fingered version of "E" due to coming after the letter "V."  


Note: For the sign "CAVE" you only move the dominant hand -- unless you are describing a very long tunnel or pipeline that extends quite a distance both ways. In that case you'd have the right hand go off to the right and the left hand go off to the left.

Also see: PIPELINE
Also see: TUNNEL
Also see: POLE


You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University
ASL resources by    Dr. William Vicars

Want to help support ASL University?  It's easy DONATE (Thanks!)
(You don't need a PayPal account. Just look for the credit card logos and click continue.)

Another way to help is to buy something from the ASLU "Bookstore."

Want even more ASL resources?  Visit the "ASL Training Center!"  (Subscription Extension of ASLU)   CHECK IT OUT >

Bandwidth slow?  Check out "" (a free mirror of less traffic, fast access)   VISIT >


back.gif (1674 bytes)