ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
The sign for "sermon" is going to vary depending on the context and your specific meaning. Wrap your mind around the specific meaning and then choose your sign accordingly. Sometimes "sermon" should be signed "LECTURE." Sometimes it should be signed "PREACH."
See some definitions below (adapted from Oxford online dictionary found via a Google search). Note: Also remember that NMM's (non-manual markers such as facial expressions or the way you position your body) can change the meaning of signs. For example, in definition 3 below you should use an "earnest" facial expression. For definition 4 below you should use a correspondingly pompous or self-righteous facial expression.
A talk on a religious or moral subject, especially one given during a church service and based on a passage from the Bible.
1. deliver a sermon or religious address to an assembled group of people, typically in church.
synonyms: give a sermon, deliver a sermon, sermonize, spread the gospel, evangelize, address, speak;
2. publicly proclaim or teach (a religious message or belief).
synonyms: proclaim, teach, spread, propagate, expound, explain, make known
3. earnestly advocate (a belief or course of action).
"my parents have always preached toleration and moderation"
synonyms: advocate, recommend, advise, urge, exhort, teach, counsel, champion, inculcate, instil
"my parents have always preached toleration"
4. give moral advice to someone in an annoying or pompously self-righteous way.
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy: DONATE (Thanks!)
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars