ASL Short Bio Content
Include as much of the following as you can in a 2 minute or less video. Sign the whole story as
one stream, rather than edit it together.
- Name first and last
- Hearing status
- Work, where?
About your living situation
- Where you were born or grew up?
- moving history,
- big cities, small cities, where do you prefer to live?
- Do you live in a house, apartment?
- Who do you live with?
About your family
- Parent's marital status
- Number of brothers and sisters
- Other relatives
- Are your Grandparents still alive?
- Relative's hearing status
ASL Short Bio Evaluation Criteria
- Appropriate vocabulary used (correct sign for context)
- Clear articulation
Variety of Vocabulary Used
- The more the better (as long as it is fluid with the story)
- Use your face to show the appropriate emotional tone of the story
- Use your face to add to the grammar and discourse flow (nodding for sentence affirmation,
shaking for negation)
Discourse Flow/ Sentences
- Phrasing pace should be clear and sentences chunked well
- Use at least one contrastive sentence
- Do ideas flow well and naturally from the different topics
- Variety of sentence structure (not glued to English grammar)
Grammar Points included
- Contrastive sentence (at least one)
- Spatial agreement
- Negation (at least one)
- Likes/Dislikes (at least one)
Fingerspelling and Numbers
- Clear correct letters
- Proper placement of hand
- Relaxed holding of hand
- Fluid, flowing, no bouncing