ASL University ►

American Sign Language: "exam"

The sign for "exam" as in "a test" is generally done by doing the TEST sign.  See: TEST

If you mean "exam" as in "eye exam" then use the sign for "INVESTIGATE"

If you are talking about an exam as in going to the doctor for a "physical exam" then you could either sign "BODY INVESTIGATE" or more commonly: BODY "ANALYZE"


Dear Dr. Bill,
I work as an ophthalmic technician at Hollaway Eye Associates. I've been learning ASL and hope to be certified one day. For work purposes though, I was wondering what the sign for exam, as in an eye exam, would be? I looked online for awhile buy I just wasn't finding anything. I know you must be incredibly busy, definitely in the fall season, but if you get the chance, any advice would help. :)

Hello :)
The best sign for "exam" when referring to an "eye exam" is the "CHECK" sign repeated twice -- which can be used to mean "investigate."
Dr. Bill


You can learn American  Sign Language  (ASL) online at American Sign Language University
ASL resources by    Dr. William Vicars

Want to help support ASL University?  It's easy DONATE (Thanks!)
(You don't need a PayPal account. Just look for the credit card logos and click continue.)

Another way to help is to buy something from the ASLU "Bookstore."

Want even more ASL resources?  Visit the "ASL Training Center!"  (Subscription Extension of ASLU)   CHECK IT OUT >

Bandwidth slow?  Check out "" (a free mirror of less traffic, fast access)   VISIT >


back.gif (1674 bytes)